Hello, my dear friends! A happy Wednesday to you all! I spent the majority of today cleaning out my closet, which was exhausting, but also VERY rewarding. And while I was sorting through all of my clothing, it got me thinking about how we can go about building a near perfect wardrobe.
Today’s blog post is going to be a little one talking about FASHION. And finding inspiration in days past. I recently went to an antique store here in Traverse City and it really reignited my love of vintage fashion. There were so many clothing items that were so absolutely beautiful. And TIMELESS. There’s something so magical about a piece of clothing that has been around for fifty plus years that someone can see years later and still find beautiful.
Each decade has styles that certainly did not age well, but there are some that I think will never go out of style. Below is a list of some such pieces.
- A-line dresses. I think that a-line dresses are not only universally flattering, but they are also timeless. They can be dressed up or down, and they will always look put-together. It’s my personal favorite silhouette for dresses and skirts, and one that I never stray far from.
- Red Lipstick. Now, red lipstick isn’t an article of clothing, but I think that red lipstick is something that really just adds so much to an outfit. I’ve probably mentioned it in a blog post or two, but I think it bears repeating. It can be a bit intimidating, but once you find the type of red lipstick that works best with your skin tone, you’ll feel unstoppable!
Red lipstick can be light or dark, it could be a blue-red or perhaps an orange-red. Remember, while red lipstick is classic, NOT ALL RED LIPSTICKS ARE CREATED EQUAL. Find the one that works best for YOU.
- A dress coat. I recently picked up a BEAUTIFUL vintage coat from the thrift store. It’s white and made of cashmere. I couldn’t tell you what year it’s from because it is just that classic and timeless. It reminds me a lot of Betty Draper’s blue coat on Mad Men. Truly timeless. I’m still on the search for a trench coat, though… another true classic.
- A black pair of heels. Even for those of us that aren’t the most coordinated, a pair of heels is a staple for a wardrobe. There are so many different styles of heels, and each can serve a different purpose. I prefer a good kitten heel, because, as stated above, I am not terribly coordinated. And if you do choose to wear a heel, make sure that you feel comfortable and confident in it. No matter how beautiful a pair of shoes is, if we don’t feel good in them, people will focus on our unease rather than our style.
- A well-fitted pair of jeans. A good pair of jeans is one of the most difficult items to add to one’s closet. There are so many different types of jeans, various fits, and varying washes. But once you find a good pair… you’ll feel like a brand new person! And a small little tip: some jeans may need to be tailored just a little bit to become your dream jeans! Speaking from my experience as a girl with short legs…
My dear friends, there are of course so many different classic pieces and styling choices we can add to our lives, but I’ll leave you with these five for now. Of course every style is different, but I think that these five are generally pretty universal. They’re some of my favorites, anyhow! ❤
Thank you so much for reading!
2 thoughts on “Five Timeless Additions to One’s Wardrobe.”
Loved our shopping trip. Maybe you could write on timeless furniture. We certainly found a lot of that too.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I did as well! Always great having a girl’s day! That is a wonderful idea! ❤