Hello, my friends! A happy Monday to you all! Over the weekend I had my bridal shower. I received SO MANY wonderful gifts from so many wonderful people. The majority of my presents were for the kitchen, and that’s given me all the more motivation to be cooking and baking. My gifts included one such KITCHEN-AID MIXER!!! I’ve wanted one for AGES, and Bobby’s family got me one! Well, I suppose they got us one, but I’m definitely the chef of our relationship. His first request? Cookies!
I honestly haven’t ventured too far into the world of baking. I find that I enjoy cooking more, HOWEVER, I do enjoy the occasional cookie. I don’t know that I’ve ever made cookies by scratch on my own, so I thought that there was no better time to try than when you’ve been gifted a BEAUTIFUL mixer.
The Barber family is filled with wonderful cooks and bakers. Around ten years ago, my family compiled a book of Barber recipes. It is now my goal to do my best to go through as many as I can!
Today’s recipe: my Great Aunt Wanda’s Triple-Treat Chocolate Chip Cookies!
I unfortunately had to make quite a few modifications because the grocery store didn’t have the ingredients. As such, I will make a note for each item/step I substituted.
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoon of unsalted butter (I used Earth Balance butter)
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped ( I accidentally only bought 4 oz of bittersweet chocolate, so I supplemented with the semisweet chips.)
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups of semisweet or milk chocolate chips (I used 1 cup of butterscotch chips and half a cup of semisweet chips.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Melt the butter, add bitter chocolate, unsweetened chocolate in small saucepan — low heat.
- Remove saucepan from heat to cool.
- Beat egg and sugar in batter bowl.
- Add vanilla, mix two minutes until dough is thick.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, and stir.
- Add nuts, melted chocolate (from the saucepan) and chocolate chips.
- Let the dough rest for twenty minutes before baking.
- Use 1-3/4 inch diameter scoop to drop spoonfuls to dough. (I just used a regular spoon.)
- Space 1-1/2 inches apart, wet fingers lightly with water to gently flatten the cookies. (I forgot to flatten them.)
- Bake 10-12 minutes. ( I baked them twelve minutes.)
Bobby LOVED these. He said he even liked them more than the banana bread! Thank you, Great Aunt Wanda!!!
And thank you so much for reading!